You are watching: All of the following are used by bacteria to attach to host cells except
Highlighted Bacteriumcheck out the summary of Neisseria memingitidis andmatch the bacterium through the description of the organism and also the infection it causes.
One that the body"s natural immune defenses is the ability to physically remove bacteria indigenous the body with such method as the continuous shedding of surface ar epithelial cells from the skin and also mucous membranes, the removal of bacteria by such way as coughing, sneezing, vomiting, and also diarrhea, and bacterial removed by bodily fluids such as saliva, blood, mucous, and also urine. Bacteria might resist this physical removal by producing pili, cell wall adhesin proteins, and/or medtox.orgfilm-producing capsules. In addition, the physics attachment of bacteria to hold cells can also serve as a signal because that the activation the genes affiliated in bacterial virulence. This procedure is known as signal transduction.
Using pili (fimbriae) come Adhere to host Cells
As checked out in Unit 1, pili enable some biology to adhere to receptors on target hold cells (Figure \(\PageIndex5\).2.1) and thus colonize and also resist flushing by the body. Pili are thin, protein pipe originating from the cytoplasmic membrane and also are found in virtually all Gram-negative bacteria, but not in many Gram-positive bacteria.
The pilus has actually a tower composed that a protein referred to as pilin. At the end of the pillar is the adhesive reminder structure having a shape matching to the of specific glycoprotein or glycolipid receptor on a host cell (Figure \(\PageIndex5\).2.3). Since both the bacteria and the organize cells have actually a an unfavorable charge, pili may enable the bacteria to tie to hold cells there is no initially having to gain close sufficient to be moved away by electrostatic repulsion. Once attached to the organize cell, the pili can depolymerize and allow adhesions in the bacterial cell wall surface to make an ext intimate contact. There is likewise evidence that the binding of chili to organize cell receptors can serve as a cause for activating the synthetic of part cell wall adhesins.
Bacteria space constantly losing and also reforming chili as they thrive in the body and the same bacterium may switch the adhesive tips of the chili in order to adhere come different varieties of cells and evade immune defenses (Figure \(\PageIndex2\).2.3). E. Coli, for example, is may be to make over 30 different species of pili.
One course of pili, well-known as type IV pili, not only enables for attachment yet also enable a twitching motility. They are situated at the poles of bacilli and enable for a gliding motility along a solid surface ar such as a organize cell. Extension and also retraction of this pili allows the bacter to traction itself along the solid surface (Figure \(\PageIndex4\)). In addition, bacteria deserve to use their kind IV chili to "slingshot" the bacterium end a cellular surface. In this case, as the pili contract they room thought to end up being taut favor a stretched rubber band. Once an anchoring pilus detaches, the taut chili "slingshot" the bacter in opposing direction (Figure \(\PageIndex5\)). This motion frequently alternates v the twitching motility and allows a an ext rapid motion and also direction readjust than through the twitching motility since the fast slingshotting motion reduces the viscosity the the neighboring medtox.orgfilm.
1. Streptococcus pyogenes (see electron micrograph) (group A beta streptococci) produce a variety of adhesins
2. The tip of the spirochete Treponema pallidum contains adhesins that space able to bind to fibronectin on epithelial cells.
Scanning electron Micrograph of T. Pallidum adhering to a hold cell by its tip.
3. The tip of the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi consists of adhesins that have the right to bind to various hold cells.
4. Escherichia coli O157 makes use of a kind 3 secretion mechanism to inject effector proteins right into intestinal epithelial cells. Few of these reason polymerization that actin in ~ the cabinet surface and this pushes the organize cell cytoplasmic membrane up to type a pedestal. An additional effector protein inserts right into the membrane the the pedestal to serve as a receptor molecule because that E. Coli adhesins (Figure \(\PageIndex7\)).
5. Helicobacter pylori use a kind 4 secretion device to inject effector proteins into stomach epithelial cells to induce these host cells come display an ext receptors on their surface for H. Pylori adhesins.
See more: Cuando Se Entregan Las Visas U R Rights, Us Visa Processing Times
6. Bordetella pertussis produces numerous adhesins (Figure \(\PageIndex8\)):
7. Neisseria gonorrhoeae produces an adhesin referred to as Opa (protein II) that permits the bacterium to make a more intimate call with the organize cell ~ it very first adheres with its pili. Favor with adhesive tips of pili, N. Gonorrhoeae has actually multiple alleles because that Opa protein adhesins enabling the bacterium to adhere to a range of host cell types.
8. Staphylococcus aureus supplies protein A together an adhesin to adhere to various organize cells. It likewise helps the bacter to withstand phagocytosis.