September 2013 Issue
Phytochemicals’ duty in great Health By Densie Webb, PhD, RD Today’s Dietitian Vol. 15 No. 9 P. 70
Suggested CDR finding out Codes: 2010, 2020, 4030, 4040 take this course and earn 2 CEUs top top our continuing Education discovering Library
Studies imply that spend foods and also beverages affluent in these compounds may help prevent disease.
You are watching: Which naturally occurring substances found in plant foods can help prevent chronic diseases?
Much of beforehand medicine relied ~ above the prescription of particular plants and herbs because that healing, a exercise still sustained by modern research. Among the principle referrals from the 2010 diet Guidelines is to eat an ext fruits, vegetables, and whole seed by having actually fruits and also vegetables represent one-half the the food top top Americans’ plates and also making totality grains account because that one-half of the recommended 6 or more daily servings the grains.1 That reference was emerged based ~ above several populace studies arguing diets well-off in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains may offer some degree of protection versus cancer, cardiovascular disease, kind 2 diabetes, and neurodegeneration.2-5
Consumption the tea, wine, and also cocoa, which likewise are tree based (tea originates from the dried leaves of the Camellia sinensis bush, alcohol from grapes, and also cocoa from the dried and fermented particle of the Theobroma cacao tree), has been linked with decreased risk the these diseases as well.6-9
Naturally emerging compounds, known as phytochemicals (phyto method plant in Greek) room thought to be mainly responsible because that the protective health and wellness benefits of this plant-based foods and also beverages, beyond those conferred by your vitamin and mineral contents. This phytochemicals, which are part of a large and varied group of chemistry compounds, additionally are responsible for the color, flavor, and also odor of plant foods, such together blueberries’ dark hue, broccoli’s bitterness taste, and also garlic’s pungent odor. Study strongly suggests that consuming foods items rich in phytochemicals gives health benefits, yet not enough information exists to make specific recommendations because that phytochemical intake.
This continuing education food discusses the classification and mechanisms of action of phytochemicals; explores research concerning their duty in the prevention of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and also diabetes as well as neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s and also Alzheimer’s; and provides suggestions RDs have the right to share v clients because that consuming phytochemical-rich foods.
Phytochemicals Defined Phytochemicals, additionally referred to together phytonutrients, are discovered in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, beans, herbs, spices, nuts, and seeds and also are classified follow to their chemical structures and functional properties. The terminology provided to describe phytochemicals (flavonoids, flavonols, flavanols, proanthocyanidins, procyanidins) have the right to be confusing. Phytochemicals include compounds such as salicylates, phytosterols, saponins, glucosinolates, polyphenols, protease inhibitors, monoterpenes, phytoestrogens, sulphides, terpenes, lectins, and many more. The Phytochemical family members Tree (see below) shows the significant groups that phytochemicals uncovered in foods.
Tens of thousands of phytochemicals have been identified, and also researchers speculate that there are most likely many much more they haven’t yet uncovered in the foods items we eat. Despite the broadest teams of phytochemicals, such as flavonoids, isoflavones, or anthocyanidins, often are referred to as if they to be a homogenous group, the separation, personal, instance compounds within each team have different chemical structures, are metabolized in different way by the body, and may have various health effects.10
Flavonoids room the largest, most varied, and most studied team of phytochemicals. In fact, much more than 6,000 flavonoids that take place in plant foodstuffs have been described.11 Plants generally produce numerous phytochemicals the act together a protective mechanism against environmental stressors; the more environmental stressors, the much more phytochemicals a plant produces.12 as a result, phytochemical content can vary with cultivation conditions.
There’s tiny information on the mean intake that phytochemicals among Americans. However, it do not do it be surprising the the entry of phytochemicals is higher among people consuming the recommended amounts of fruits and also vegetables.13 though recommendations indicate consuming a range of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, because that example, single foods often account for the bulk of the complete intake of some phytochemicals.13
Phytochemical Research as mentioned, research study on details phytochemicals in foods and their effects on disease risk is limited, yet there’s enough evidence—mostly indigenous looking at the association in between foods affluent in phytochemicals and disease risk—to strongly imply that spend foods and also beverages well-off in these compounds may aid prevent disease. However, it isn’t recognized whether the health and wellness benefits are the an outcome of individual phytochemicals, the interaction of assorted phytochemicals, the fiber content of tree foods, or the communication of phytochemicals and also the vitamins and also minerals discovered in the very same foods.
Cardiovascular Disease There’s proof to imply that consuming foods items rich in phytochemicals may reduce the threat of cardiovascular disease.14 One meta-analysis found that enhancing fruit and also vegetable intake from fewer than three to more than five servings per day was connected with a 17% palliation in risk.15 another meta-analysis argued that the danger of coronary heart disease would decrease by 4% for each section per day of fruits and vegetables added to the diet.14
When studies have actually attempted to recognize a connection between particular fruit polyphenols and cardiovascular disease risk, the findings have been limited, yet there’s assistance for the present recommendations come eat a range of fruits and vegetables daily.13 many studies concerning cardiovascular disease, however, have actually looked in ~ the intake of soy (rich in isoflavones) and/or cocoa (rich in polyphenols). Soy, cocoa, and also black and green teas have been learned extensively, and consumption of every one is associated with a diminished risk that cardiovascular disease. Yes sir a wide range of benefits linked with the phytochemical contents of this foods and also beverages, consisting of lowering blood pressure, to reduce inflammation, increasing HDL cholesterol when decreasing LDL oxidation, dilating blood vessels, and decreasing the propensity of the blood to form clots.9,16,17 Cocoa was uncovered to improve endothelial function by dilating blood vessels; that was more effective amongst those older 보다 the period of 50.18
A meta-analysis and a systematic examination that prospective cohort studies and randomized regulated trials uncovered that an mean of 2.5 to five servings of totality grains per day was associated with a 21% lower risk that cardiovascular condition compared through consuming fewer 보다 0.2 servings per day.19,20 The range of phytochemicals, consisting of anthocyanins, phytosterols, phenolic acids, lignans, and also carotenoids, that are existing in wheat, rye, oats, rice, and also other seed is believed to contribute to these cardioprotective effects.21
The consumption of totality grains rich v phytochemicals likewise is linked with reduced blood pressure, i m sorry aids in the avoidance of cardiovascular disease. Consuming 4 or an ext servings of entirety grains day-to-day is connected with a 23% reduced risk of high blood pressure. As usage of totality grains increases, blood pressure normally decreases.22 treatment studies, if inconsistent, likewise have found a hopeful association in between whole serial intake and blood pressure.23,24
Cancer The consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, as well as dietary fads such together the Mediterranean diet the emphasize these foods, have been associated with a decreased risk of several types of cancer, including breast, lung, and colon.25-27 A systematic evaluation of 25 prospective studies found that rise of three servings every day of entirety grains was connected with a 17% lower risk that colorectal cancer.28 however not all research studies on fruit, vegetable, and also whole grain usage have uncovered the exact same reduction in risk.29
Studies likewise have looked in ~ the intake of particular phytochemicals and found a attach to reduced cancer risk.3,25,30 One study discovered that only specific flavonoid subgroups were associated with a diminished risk of chest cancer.25 others have uncovered the reduced risk that cancer wasn’t as strong for separation, personal, instance phytochemicals together for the foods items rich in phytochemicals.25,30
The usage of cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and also cauliflower has been linked with a diminished risk of prostate, lung, breast, and also colon cancers.31 Isothiocyanate phytochemicals discovered in cruciferous vegetables, especially sulforaphane in broccoli, which has actually been learned extensively, are thought to sell some level of prevention.
Therapeutic combine of foods items rich in phytochemicals that have yet to be identified can be effective for both cancer prevention and treatment.22 There’s likewise evidence that some phytochemicals may have varying results with respect come cancer risk, depending upon an individual’s age and also genetic makeup. Isoflavones, for example, have estrogenlike effects and either may increase or decrease danger of breast cancer, depending upon genetics and menopausal status.32 some phytochemicals, such together resveratrol, sulforaphane, curcumin, quercetin, and genistein, may enhance the activity of chemotherapeutic agents provided to treat cancer.33-35 However, the too at an early stage to recommend phytochemicals or details combinations of foods as a method to avoid cancer or boost the efficiency of chemotherapy.
There’s a huge volume that laboratory and animal research reflecting preventive effects of tea polyphenols against cancer that the skin, lung, oral cavity, esophagus, stomach, liver, pancreas, small intestine, colon, bladder, prostate, and also mammary gland.36,37 Tea polyphenols have been shown to affect tumor suppression and cancer cabinet replication and also alter gene regulation.38 These effects usually space attributed come tea’s catechin polyphenols.38 However, studies in people haven’t prove a clean connection. The lack of a consistent effect in humans could be as result of the reality that they don’t consume the larger doses frequently used in animal studies, the difficulty in obtaining accurate measurements of tea intake among human subjects, and genetic diversity among the human population that isn’t present in study animals.36,37
The polyphenols in cocoa have been discovered in laboratory studies to interfere v the initiation, promotion, and progression of cancer cells.39 when chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is affluent in these polyphenols, the isn’t known whether the same cancer-preventive impacts would use in the body and also what an efficient dose might be.39
Type 2 Diabetes Research suggests that phytochemical-rich foodstuffs may straight decrease the risk of form 2 diabetes, most likely by reduce inflammation and improving insulin sensitivity, and also indirectly by avoiding weight gain, the most necessary risk element of the disease.26,40-42
Positive effects on fasting blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity have been uncovered specifically v the usage of polyphenols both in laboratory and also animal studies.43 dietary polyphenols may inhibit carbohydrate digestion and also glucose absorb in the intestine, wake up insulin secretion from the pancreas, modulate glucose release from the liver, activate insulin receptors and glucose uptake in insulin-sensitive tissue, and modulate intracellular signaling pathways and gene expression.43 Some research studies have uncovered that a diminished risk was strongest v the usage of environment-friendly leafy vegetables, which space rich sources of phytochemicals.42
In the Nurses’ health and wellness Studies I and II and also the Health specialists Follow-Up Study, higher intakes the anthocyanins and also anthocyanin-rich fruits were linked with a lower risk the developing form 2 diabetes.44 However, the Women’s health and wellness Study didn’t discover the same connection, although the researchers said that apple and also tea intake may have a usually risk-reducing effect.45
The polyphenols in tea and cocoa also may contribute to boosted insulin sensitivity and lower form 2 diabetes risk. In a big population examine from eight europe countries, tea input was associated with a significantly decreased hazard of developing type 2 diabetes.46 specifically, those that drank much more than four cups that tea per day had a 16% reduced risk compared with non-tea drinkers.
In a placebo-controlled trial v diabetes patients, those given flavonoid-enriched chocolate and supplemental isoflavones because that one year experienced substantially reduced insulin levels, improved insulin sensitivity, and also decreased complete cholesterol, HDL ratio, and LDL cholesterol.47
A methodical examination that 45 prospective cohort studies uncovered a 26% lower risk of kind 2 diabetes amongst those that consumed 48 come 80 g of whole grains per day (three to five servings) compared with those who never ever or rarely ate totality grains.20 A evaluation of the prospective Nurses’ wellness Studies I and II, which included nearly 162,000 united state women enrolled there is no a background of diabetes, found a 37% reduced risk that developing type 2 diabetes among those through the greatest intake of totality grains contrasted with those with the shortest intake.48
The 2010 diet Guidelines Committee break up that limited evidence exist associating entirety grain consumption with a lessened risk of form 2 diabetes.5 However, the German Nutrition society determined there’s probable evidence that it decreases the danger of kind 2 diabetes.49
Neurodegeneration Phytochemicals may carry out protection versus neurodegenerative conditions such together Alzheimer’s and also Parkinson’s.50 research study has said that phytochemicals such together capsaicin (found in red pepper), curcumin (found in the summer sprouts turmeric), epigallocatechin gallate (a catechin in tea well-known as EGCG), and also resveratrol (found in grapes, wine, and peanuts) may have neuroprotective effects.51,52
Flavonoids in general are assumed to aid reverse age-related decreases in cognitive function by raising the number of connections among neurons and improving blood circulation to the brain,53,54 i m sorry protects fragile neurons and also enhances the to work of currently neurons.53 The usage of flavonoid-rich foodstuffs such together berries and also cocoa transparent life may host the potential come limit, prevent, or reverse typical or abnormal destruction in cognitive function in the aging brain.53
Several research studies have found an association between tea consumption and a reduced risk of emerging Parkinson’s condition or delaying its beginning by numerous years.55-57 It has actually been argued that the combination is as result of its caffeine content, which likewise is a naturally arising phytochemical, yet flavonoid input in general, and berries in particular, also have been linked to a lessened risk of Parkinson’s disease.58
Combining particular dietary flavonoids that are took in well and can permeate the blood/brain barrier (which exist to prevent plenty of substances in the blood from reaching the brain), thus preventing or slowly the production of damaging free radicals in the body, could assist prevent and also treat a selection of neurodegenerative disorders.59 but this uniquely effective combination of phytochemicals hasn’t yet been identified.
The intake of flavanol-rich cocoa has been discovered to boost cerebral blood flow, i m sorry is an important for optimal mind function and also decreases in dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.53,60,61 it’s been said that spend flavonoid-rich foods such together cocoa and berries throughout life may limit neurodegeneration and prevent cognitive decline.53
Phytoestrogens, which have actually estrogenlike task and are discovered in soy and also whole grains, may assist prevent cognitive decrease that can occur complying with menopause.62
Mechanism that Action researchers have discovered that phytochemicals have the potential to wake up the immune system, avoid toxic substances in the diet from becoming carcinogenic, mitigate inflammation, protect against DNA damages and aid DNA repair, reduce oxidative damage to cells, slow the growth rate that cancer cells, trigger damaged cells to self-destruct (apoptosis) prior to they deserve to reproduce, assist regulate intracellular signaling that hormones and also gene expression, and also activate insulin receptors.3,43 In addition, there most likely are health results of phytochemicals that researchers haven’t however recognized.3
Much laboratory research study has focused on the antioxidant duty of phytochemicals. However, their antioxidant activity is diminished in the body throughout metabolism, and the levels present in blood and also tissue space fleeting and also quite low.63,64 For numerous of the phytochemicals in food, their antioxidant effects on cell signaling and gene expression might be much more important for health and wellness benefits than direct antioxidant activity,63 effects that have the right to be seen even with low concentrations the phytochemicals in plasma and tissues.
In addition to gift rich resources of phytochemicals, tree foods likewise are sources of fiber, vitamins, and minerals whose mechanisms have actually been more plainly elucidated. But identifying which separation, personal, instance compounds room responsible because that the benefits connected with phytochemical-rich foods is difficult, if no impossible, because of the interactions that occur with vitamins, minerals, and fiber too as amongst the phytochemicals themselves. The unique combination of these compounds may be the vital to reduced an illness risk, however that formula hasn’t yet been identified and also tested.
Factors That impact Metabolism The bioavailability that phytochemicals different greatly and can selection from much less than 0.03% of those consumed (certain flavonols) to 50% (isoflavones).63 While proof is restricted regarding just how phytochemicals are stored, research argues there room no permanent stores the polyphenols in the body.10 as well as inherent distinctions in the bioavailability of this compounds, absorption likewise is influenced by the gut microflora and individuals’ genetic makeup, both of which differ greatly.65 In addition, processing, such together steaming, drying, freezing, and boiling, can reduce the levels of some phytochemicals found in the final food product.66
Unidentified Therapeutic Intakes even though numerous phytochemicals are believed to have disease-preventing properties, the absence of food ingredient data and the incomplete knowledge of their absorption, metabolism, and also interaction have actually prevented the academy of medication from producing a Dietary recommendation Intake (DRI) for any of them. In addition, unlike vitamins and minerals, this compounds aren’t essential and also are therefore not taken into consideration nutrients.3
The research regarding phytochemicals is complicated by the reality that the results of spend phytochemical-rich foods may it is in most helpful for civilization with more severe metabolic abnormalities, such together elevated blood lipids, kind 2 diabetes, or obesity, and may no be as evident in otherwise healthy populations. The intricacy of the family members of phytochemicals, their potential interactions, and also the feasible variations in levels discovered in any kind of given food do it at this time impossible to issue specific phytochemical guidelines. In addition, civilization eat a variety of foods and nutrients every day, each combination holding the potential for unique interactive effects, again making it extremely challenging to connect a details food, nutrient, or phytochemical to a details health or an illness outcome.4
More details is needed before dietary recommendations have the right to be made.10 However, researchers have suggested that once adequate data are established, a DRI must be arisen for one or an ext of the groups of flavonoids.10
Potential Risks Phytochemicals are widely distributed in the food supply, yet because of the lack of an accurate, comprehensive database, estimating intake continues to be difficult. This influence researchers’ capability to identify what level the phytochemical input is optimal or what level the intake might potentially pose a wellness risk.
One the the major functions that phytochemicals is their role as antioxidants. However, as with all antioxidant compounds, once they’ve lugged out their antioxidant function, they become oxidizing link themselves. If it would be daunting to obtain excessive amounts of antioxidant phytochemicals indigenous the diet, big doses of antioxidants in the kind of supplements have actually the potential to it is in harmful.
The long-term results of big amounts that phytochemicals on health aren’t known, and therefore supplements no recommended. While taking huge amounts of phytochemicals as supplements could theoretically posture a risk, the threats of spend high join aren’t well understood because of the thin volume of these compounds found in foods, the lack of exact information regarding dietary intake, and the lack of studies evaluating their safety.10
Recommendations for exercise when the associations found about a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, tea, whole grains, and other plant foodstuffs are consistent and strong, lock don’t demonstrate a clear cause and also effect relationship. However, specialists such as the 2010 diet Guidelines for Americans Committee1 and also the American Institute for Cancer Research3 agree the consuming a range of plant-based foodstuffs is necessary for health. Research shows that those who satisfy the referrals for fruit and also vegetable usage have considerably greater intakes that phytochemicals.
The ideal advice because that clients and also patients is come consume a wide variety of plant-based foods, making use of MyPlate, i m sorry recommends three to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, at the very least three day-to-day servings of entirety grains, and also including beans, legumes, roasted soybeans (1/4 cup cooked), and also nuts or seed (1/2 oz) together protein choices.67 There room no guidelines for coffee, tea, or cocoa consumption, but as long as your intake is factored right into the day’s intake of calories, moderate intake of all three might offer added health benefits. Be afflicted with in mind that dark chocolate is richer in phytochemicals 보다 milk chocolate, and also tea varieties (white, green, oolong, and black) have actually different amounts and varieties of phytochemicals that may administer different wellness benefits.
— Densie Webb, PhD, RD, is a freelance writer, editor, and also industry consultant based in Austin, Texas.
Learning Objectives After perfect this proceeding education course, nutrition professionals should be far better able to:
1. Define and also discuss phytochemicals.
2. Differentiate foods that space rich in phytochemicals.
3. Determine at the very least one condition or condition for which research suggests eating phytochemical-rich foods may diminish risk.
4. Assess limitations of current research regarding phytochemicals and also disease.
5. Carry out clients and patients with recommendations for consuming phytochemical-rich foods.
CPE Monthly Examination
1. I beg your pardon of the following ideal defines phytochemicals? a. Phytochemicals are foods that save chlorophyll. B. Phytochemicals are compounds uncovered only in fruits and vegetables. C. Phytochemicals are compounds uncovered in every plant foods. D. Phytochemicals room compounds discovered only in supplements.
2. Which team of foods listed below is no a rich resource of phytochemicals? a. Butter, margarine, low-fat milk, cheddar cheese b. Oranges, blueberries, strawberries, apples c. Brown rice, oatmeal, kashi, whole wheat couscous d. Peanuts, pecans, walnuts, cashews
3. Study conclusively has shown that diets rich in particular phytochemicals deserve to reduce the threat of several typical diseases. A. True b. False
4. Studies have discovered that diets wealthy in phytochemicals may aid prevent which of the following? a. Cardiovascular condition b. Carpal tunnel syndrome c. Endometriosis d. Gluten intolerance
5. What is the ideal dietary advice because that consuming phytochemicals? a. Eliminate animal products indigenous the diet. B. Eat raw phytochemical-rich foods. C. Take it probiotics in addition to phytochemical-rich foods. D. Consume at least three to 5 servings the fruits and vegetables and three servings of totality grains every day.
6. What is the largest and most varied team of phytochemical compounds discovered in food? a. Isothiocynate b. Isoflavones c. Flavonoids d. Carotenoids
7. If the diet provides few phytochemical-rich foods, phytochemical supplements are recommended. a. True b. False
8. I beg your pardon of the following foods has actually not been connected to a diminished risk of type 2 diabetes? a. Tea b. Whole grains c. Cocoa d. White rice
9. Researches on the impacts of phytochemicals on health have been hindered the most through which of the following? a. Lack of phytochemical nutrient databases b. Absence of expertise of the interactions amongst phytochemicals c. Absence of easily accessible funding because that phytochemical study d. Risks in eat too lot phytochemical-rich food
10. Phytochemicals are thought to be involved in which of the following? a. Staying clear of DNA damage b. Antihistamine effects c. Antibiotic results d. Anti-HIV results
References 1. Us Department the Agriculture, united state Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. Washington, DC: US federal government Printing Office; 2010.
2. Hung HC, Joshipura KJ, Jiang R, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and also risk of significant chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004;96(21):1577-1584.
3. World Cancer research study Fund/American Institute because that Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, physics Activity, and the prevention of Cancer: A an international Perspective. Washington, DC: American Institute for Cancer Research, 2007.
4. Slavin JL, Lloyd B. Health benefits of fruits and vegetables. Adv Nutr. 2012;3(4):506-516.
5. Us Department of farming Nutrition proof Library. Http://www.nel.gov/search.cfm?keywords=fruits+and+vegetables
6. Bohn SK, Ward NC, Hodgson JM, Croft KD. Impacts of tea and coffee ~ above cardiovascular condition risk. Food Funct. 2012;3(6):575-591.
7. Cano-Marquina A, Tarin JJ, Cano A. The affect of coffee top top health. Maturitas. 2013; 75(1):7-21.
8. Kokubo Y, Iso H, Saito I, et al. The influence of eco-friendly tea and also coffee usage on the lessened risk of stroke incidence in Japanese population: The Japan Public health center-based study cohort. Stroke. 2013;44(5):1369-1374.
9. Andujar I, Recio MC, Giner RM, Rios JL. Cocoa polyphenols and their potential services for human health. Oxid Med cell Longev. 2012; 2012:906252.
10. Erdman JW Jr, Balentine D, Arab L, et al. Flavonoids and also heart health: Proceedings that the ILSI phibìc America Flavonoids Workshop, might 31-June 1, 2005, Washington, DC. J Nutr. 2007;137(3 Suppl 1):718S-737S.
11. Arts IC, Hollman PC. Polyphenols and an illness risk in epidemiologic studies. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;81(1 Suppl):317S-325S.
12. Chalker-Scott L. Eco-friendly significance of anthocyanins in plant anxiety responses. Photochem Photobiol. 1999;70(1):1-9.
13. Murphy MM, Barraj LM, Herman D, Bi X, Cheatham R, Randolph RK. Phytonutrient intake by adults in the United states in relationship to fruit and also vegetable consumption. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012;112(2):222-229.
14. Dauchet L, Amouyel P, Hercberg S, Dallongeville J. Fruits and vegetable consumption and also risk the coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis the cohort studies. J Nutr. 2006:136(10):2588-2593.
15. The FJ, Nowson CA, Lucas M, MacGregor GA. Increased intake of fruit and also vegetables is pertained to a reduced risk of coronary love disease: meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Hum Hypertens. 2007:21(9):717-728.
16. Suzuki Y, Miyoshi N, Isemura M. Health-promoting results of eco-friendly tea. Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci. 2012;88(3):88-101.
17. Bahorun T, Luximon-Ramma A, Neergheen-Bhuju V, et al. The impact of black tea on risk components of cardiovascular condition in a regular population. Prev Med. 2012;54 Suppl:S98-102.
18. Fisher ND, Hollenberg NK. Aging and also vascular responses to flavanol-rich cocoa. J Hypertens. 2006;24(8):1575-1580.
19. Mellen PB, Walsh TF, Herrington DM. Whole grain intake and cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008;18(8):283-290.
20. Ye EQ, Chacko SA, Chou EL, Kugizaki M, Liu S. Better whole-grain input is associated with reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. J Nutr. 2012;142(7):1304-1313.
21. Fardet A. New hypotheses because that the health-protective device of whole-grain cereals: what is beyond fibre? Nutr Res Rev. 2010;23(1):65-134.
22. Wang L, Gaziano JM, Liu S, Manson JE, Buring JE, Sesso HD. Whole- and also refined-grain intakes and the threat of hypertension in women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86(2):472-479.
23. Tighe P, Duthie G, Vaughan N, et al. Result of increased usage of whole-grain foods items on blood pressure and also other cardiovascular risk markers in healthly middle-aged persons: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92(4):733-740.
24. Bodinham CL, Hitchen KL, Youngman PJ, Frost GS, Robertson MD. Short-term results of whole-grain wheat ~ above appetite and also food intake in healthy and balanced adults: a pilot study. Br J Nutr. 2011;106(3):327-330.
25. Hui C, Qi X, Qianyong Z, Xiaoli P, Jundong Z, Mantian M. Flavonoids, flavonoid subclasses and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis that epidemiologic studies. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e54318.
26. Boeing H, Bechthold A, Bub A, Ellinger S, Haller D, et al. Vital review: vegetables and fruit in the avoidance of chronic diseases. Eur J Nutr. 2012;51:637-663.
27. Wakai K, Matsuo K, Nagata C, et al. Lung cancer risk and also consumption the vegetables and also fruit: an evaluation based on a systematic evaluation of epidemiological evidence from Japan. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011;41(5):693-708.
28. Aune D, Chan DS, Lau R, et al. Dietary fibre, totality grains, and risk the colorectal cancer: systematic review and dose-response meta-aalysis the prospective studies. BMJ. 2011;343:d6617.
29. McCullough ML, Robertson AS, Chao A, et al. A prospective examine of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and also colon cancer risk. Cancer reasons Control. 2003;14(10):959-970.
30. Romagnolo DF, Selmin OI. Flavonoids and cancer prevention: a review of the evidence. J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr. 2012;31(3):206-238.
31. Juge N. Mithen RF, Traka M. Molecule basis for chemoprevention by sulforaphane: a an extensive review. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007;64(9):1105-1127.
32. Bondesson M, Gustafsson JA. Does spend isoflavones reduce or rise breast cancer risk? Genome Med. 2010;2(12):90.
33. Sak K. Chemotherapy and also dietary phytochemical agents. Chemother Res Pract. 2012;2012:282570.
34. Kaminski BM, Steinhilber D, Stein JM, Ulrich S. Phytochemicals resveratrol and sulforaphane together potential agents for enhancing the anti-tumor tasks of conventional cancer therapies. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2012;13(1):137-146.
35. Vinod BS, Maliekal TT, Anto RJ. Phytochemicals together chemosensitizers: from molecular system to clinical significance. Antioxid redox Signal. 2013;18(11):1307-1348.
36. Yang CS, Lambert JD, Ju J, Lu G, Sang S. Tea and also cancer prevention: molecule mechanisms and human relevance. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2007;224(3):265-273.
37. Yang CS, Ju J, Lu G, et al. Cancer avoidance by tea and tea polyphenols. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008;17(Suppl 1):245-248.
38. Thakur VS, Gupta K, Gupta S. The chemopreventive and also chemotherapeutic potentials the tea polyphenols. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2012;13(1):191-199.
39. Martin MA, Goya L, Ramos S. Potential because that preventive results of cocoa and cocoa polyphenols in cancer. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013;56:336-351.
40. Gonzalez-Castejon M, Rodriguez-Casado A. Dietary phytochemicals and their potential effects on obesity: a review. Pharmacol Res. 2011;64(5):438-455.
41. Cooper AJ, Forouhi NG, Ye Z,, et al. Fruit and also vegetable entry and form 2 diabetes: EPIC-InterAct prospective study and also meta-analysis. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012;66(10):1082-1092.
42. Carter P, Gray LJ, Troughton J, Khunti K, Davies MJ. Fruit and also vegetable intake and also incidence of form 2 diabetes mellitus: methodical review and also meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;341:c4229.
43. Hanhineva K, Torronen R, Bondia-Pons I, et al. Affect of dietary polyphenols ~ above carbohydrate metabolism. Int J Mol Sci. 2010;11(4):1365-1402.
44. Wedick NM, Pan A, Cassidy A, et al. Diet flavonoid intakes and also risk of kind 2 diabetes in us men and women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95(4):925-933.
45. Tune Y, Manson JE, Buring JE, Sesso HD, Liu S. Associations of dietary flavonoids with danger of kind 2 diabetes, and markers the insulin resistance and systemic inflammation in women: a prospective study and also cross-sectional analysis. J to be Coll Nutr. 2005;24(5):376-384.
46. The connect Consortium. Tea consumption and also incidence of form 2 diabetes in Europe: the EPIC-InterAct case-cohort study. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e36910.
47. Curtis PJ, Sampson M, Potter J, Dhatariya K, Kroon PA, Cassidy A. Chronic sloop down of flavan-3-ols and also isoflavones improves insulin sensitivity and also lipoprotein status and attenuates estimated 10-year CVD threat in medicated postmenopausal females with kind 2 diabetes: a 1-year, double-blind, randomized, regulated trial. Diabetes Care. 2012;35(2):226-232.
48. De Munter JS, Hu FB, Spiegelman D, Franz M, valve Dam RM. Totality grain, bran, and also germ intake and also risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study and systematic review. PLoS Med. 2007;4(8):e261.
49. Hauner H, Bechthold A, Boeing H, et al. Evidence-based guideline of the German Nutrition Society: carbohydrate intake and prevention the nutrition-related diseases. Ann Nutr Metab. 2012;60 Suppl 1:1-58.
50. Lee JG, Yon JM, Lin C, Jung AY, Jung KY, Nam SY. Linked treatment v capsaicin and resveratrol improves neuroprotection against glutamate-induced toxicity in computer mouse cerebral cortical neurons. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50(11):3877-3885.
51. Davinelli S, Sapere N, Zella D, Bracale R, Intrieri M, Scapagnini G. Pleiotropic protective impacts of phytochemicals in alzheimer’s Disease. Oxid Med cabinet Longev. 2012;2012:386527.
52. Mythri RB, Bharath MM. Curcumin: a potential neuroprotective certified dealer in Parkinson’s disease. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18(1):91-99.
53. Spencer JP. Flavonoids and brain health: multiple effects underpinned by common mechanisms. Genes Nutr. 2009;4(4):243-250.
54. Williams RJ, Spencer JP. Flavonoids, cognition, and also dementia: actions, mechanisms, and potential therapeutic energy for Alzheimer disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012:52(1):35-45.
55. Kandinov B, Giladi N, Korczyn AD. Smoking and tea consumption delay onset the Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2009;15(1):41-46.
56. Hu G, Bidel S, Jousilahti P, Antikainen R, Tuomilehto J. Coffee and tea consumption and the threat of Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord. 2007;22(15):2242-2248.
57. Tanaka K, Miyake Y, Fukushima W, et al. Intake of Japanese and Chinese teas reduces hazard of Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011;17(6):446-450.
58. Gao X, Cassidy A, Schwarzschild MA, Rimm EB, Ascherio A. Habitual entry of dietary flavonoids and also risk the Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2012;78(15):1138-1145.
59. Jones QR, Warford J, Rupasinghe HP, Robertson GS. Target-based selection of flavonoids for neurodegenerative disorders. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2012;33(11):602-610.
60. Fisher ND, Sorond FA, Hollenberg NK. Cocoa flavanols and brain perfusion. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2006;47 Suppl 2:S210-S214.
61. Francis ST, Head K, Morris PG, macdonald IA. The impact of flavanol-rich cocoa top top the fMRI an answer to a cognitive task in healthy young people. J Cardiovasc Pharamcol. 2006;47 Suppl 2:S215-S220.
62. Zhao L, Mao Z, Brinton RD. A select combination of clinically appropriate phytoestrogens boosts estrogen receptor beta-binding selectivity and also neuroprotective activities in vitro and also in vivo. Endocrinology. 2009;150(2):770-783.
63. Gordon MH. Definition of dietary antioxidant for health. Int J Mol Sci. 2012;13(1):173-179.
64. Tsao R. Chemistry and also biochemistry of dietary polyphenols. Nutrients. 2010;2(12):1231-1246.
65. Da Costa LA, Garcia-Bailo B, Badawi A, El-Sohemy A. Genetic determinants of diet antioxidant status. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2012;108:179-200.
See more: " Frat Girls Still Trying To Get Even ", Frat Girls Still Tryna Get Even
66. Mahn A, Reyes A. Summary of health-promoting compounds of broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. Italic) and the result of processing. Food Sci Technol Int. 2012;18(6):503-514.
67. Us Department of agriculture Choose MyPlate. Http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups
Phytochemical household Tree
— Source: Heneman K, Zidenberg-Cherr S. Some facts around phytochemicals. UC cooperative Extension center for Health and Nutrition study Nutrition and also Health information Sheet. Http://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/content/infosheets/fact-pro-phytochemical.pdf. October 2008
Phytochemicals in foodstuffs and feasible Health BenefitsFoods
Possible wellness Benefits
Soybeans, soy milk, tofu
Isoflavones (genistin, daidzein), types of flavonoids
Reduction in blood pressure and also increased blood ship dilation
Strawberries, red wine, blueberries
Anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid
Blood ship dilation, induction of cancer cell death, enhanced insulin sensitivity, neuroprotective effects
Red wine, grape juice, grape extracts, cocoa, peanuts
Proanthocyanidins, a form of flavonoid; resveratrol
Inhibition of LDL oxidation and inflammation
Garlic, onions, leeks, olives, scallions
Decreased LDL cholesterol, anticancer effects
Carrots, tomatoes and also tomato products, other orange, yellow, and also red fruits and also vegetables
Carotenoids, such together lycopene, and beta-carotene
Neutralization of complimentary radicals that reason cell damage
Cruciferous vegetable such as broccoli and kale, horseradish
Neutralization of cost-free radicals that cause cell damage and protection against some species of cancer